Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taste Sweet Love

My pinky hurts like a mo-fo. Mere.

So, this weekend I rediscovered my love for Asian dramas (specifically Korean ones) when I found Baek Seol Gong Ju/Snow White/Taste Sweet Love. A kitschy little show, it's about a strong, slightly odd girl who is in love with her best friend of 8 years, but who just won't notice her like that. The twist is that he asks her to let his brother stay there a couple of days since his return from Japan, but little does he know they already met there - and had an interesting encounter of their own.

Anyways, it all comes down to the fact that I've watched 5 episodes, which comes to 5 hours, and there has been little to no plot progression. Mind you, I have 11 episodes to go, but still. I mean, come on.

What finally got to me (besides the fact that she's been pining for Jin-woo this whole time when Sun-woo is clearly the one to go for) is when they brought in another character, this whining, pain-in-the-butt Japanese girl. And this is where the Korean appeal went straight over my head.

Let me clarify. This show is weird. The women act weird (loud, annoying, over-exagerated, push-overs, etc), the friends are all mooches, and there are so many social no-no's (I don't care what culture you live in) that I'm cringing every other second!

Now, all of this isn't a complete turn-off if you look at it in the right light. I find it fascinating. I love listening to them speak, I love watching them address each other, and I LOVE how wonderfully clean it is. While keeping the romance.

But when they brought in Minaki? She cried like a 3-year-old in their hall until they let her in. Not the type of crying that feels you with compassion, no - the type that fills you with irrational anger. I had to mute the sound because I was this close to chucking my lab top across the room. And I don't want to wake Kym up (who is currently laughing in her sleep, bytheway).

Ugh, my brain.

Another oddity was the emphasis on good-looks. Our main character, Young-Hee, was caught up in the crisis of whether or not to get plastic surgery to improve her chances with Jin-Woo. And the character, although dressed very oddly, is really pretty. In fact, when I saw a picture of the actor before I watched the show, I was surprised at how quirky she could be - she looked too cute to be quirky.

It might be the PMS or the late night or the peanut butter cookies talking, but after a while I couldn't take this gorgeous Korean girl putting herself down, even for pretend. Throw in an extremely obnoxious Japanese chick, and I was surfing the web for hanboks faster than you could say 좋습니다.

Bleh. Well, I guess I'll stop ranting about silly things - as a disclaimer-after-the-fact, I really do like this drama, I'm just frustrating with it. I'll keep watching. But not till I sleep for 6 hours, wake up, work, study, hate school, grocery shop, act friendly at FHE, and collapse into bed at 10. Where I'll watch it till I hate it, and start the vicious cycle all over. *sigh* Quel horror....



Credit for the montage goes to Meagan Louie, linguistics lover, baking extraordinaire, avid reader, and fellow k-drama addict. May she keeping on rocking her awesomely chosen world.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I was laughing in my sleep? Hahaha. I can't think what I was dreaming of... Interesting.